Mentoring for Photographers
Five years ago I was laid off from my position as a restaurant manager in a career I'd developed for over a decade. Just the year prior to that I was regularly "shopped" by other local businesses on a weekly basis and yet, once I was laid off I couldn't get a job washing dishes on any kind of consistent basis, let alone anything full-time.
It was then that I turned back to my camera for some soul searching. At the time, I loved it but had no idea HOW I could make a business with it. I photographed everything; newborns, weddings, events, animals, but only LOVED photographing people. My first photo shoot was as a "shoot and burner for $50 to two gentlemen wanting to update their dating site profiles and I almost didn't even take that.
I scrambled for two years hustling anywhere from $50-200 per shoot hoping something would catch. Even as my bookings increased I couldn't figure out HOW to make a profit. At one point, I was even SO booked, my calendar looked amazingly busy but when I ran the numbers at the end of that month I'd LOST money. And not like, $100 or something. $1280. How the hell does THAT happen?! Almost $1300 and I was working my butt off. It got so bad I wasn't sleeping, my husband and I almost lost our home, I was beyond depressed and at the end of every day I would just stare at the ceiling until 3am. I felt worthless. Worthless as a woman. Worthless as a wife. Worthless as a contributor to the world. I was failing...I was failing FAST.
And then I discovered my mentor, Sue Bryce.
That was four years ago.
Now, I'm not going to tell you that building your business is easy. It isn't. What I will tell you is that in building your business, you're about to learn more about your actual self than you ever imagined. You're going to learn how you REALLY and truly feel about things, things that maybe you don't even realize are within you. You'll encounter not only logistical challenges but emotional and spiritual ones too. yeah, that's right. I said spiritual (for the record, if you can't wrap your head around that last piece, I'll say it right now, I am not the mentor for you).
Working with me isn't JUST about marketing solutions and mechanics within your systems and processes. Working with me is about facing your inner you-know-what and standing up to it to create the business you're after, to build the life you WANT to be living. If you want systems and processes, there are plenty of resources at Creative Live and Lynda.com But that isn't why you're here, is it? I didn't think so.
Reach out below. Let's talk about exactly where you are on your journey, what you're facing, and how we can go about knocking that ish out of the way so you can dominate in your field.
One-on-One Mentoring for Portrait Photographers
Learn how to market effectively both online and in person
Learn how to structure your pricing menu so that you're commanding at least a $1500 sale on average
Learn how to design photo sessions that are valuable and tailored to your vision and how your clients dream of being photographed
Learn how to face your inner-demons so that you can build a business you love and the life you're ready to live
One of the things I often find with photographers that reach out to mentor with me is that they think they're coming to me for one thing; marketing, pricing, etc. when the truth of the matter is that while there is an actual recipe to follow in these processes, more often than not the issue really is, what is going on in their heads and their hearts. When you mentor with me, yes of course we will address the recipe, the nuts and bolts but, don't be surprised when I call you out on your BS. The stories you're telling yourself about the WHY. It's okay. We ALL do it, have done it, will do it again. As your mentor, it's my job to help you clear it. Give it a name. I can't wait to meet you.
- Wealth Dynamics Test - What I LOVE about this test is that no matter where you are in your entrepreneurial journey, this test is straight forward, only takes a few minutes of your time, and is quite specific about:
- getting clarity on your strengths so that you can focus your energies THERE (your wealth flows to you through your strengths and knowing what those strengths are allows you to dial in)
- learn what advice to take, what to leave, & which opportunities to say "yes" or "no" to.
- understand your customers, your family, and build world class teams that work in flow
- learn when your winning formula becomes a losing formula and how to navigate through it with effectiveness
- Honeybook Client Relationship Management Tool - Honeybook is a great entry point for photographers looking for a simple and streamlined system in which to house their client information, agreements, payment processing, and communication. This link will give you 50% off however, I highly recommend taking advantage of their tutorials to get the most out of the platform. I use HB and recommend it pretty often. It is well better than the 7 notebooks, and 2 websites, and email inbox I was housing everything in before I found HB. Made my life soooo much simpler.