“I have nothing to wear for a photo shoot!” Yeah, I’ve said it too. When you look in your closet and start thinking about how you’ll have these portraits forever, and “Dear Lord…I wear THAT in Public?”
It is a common misconception that portrait clients have gobs and gobs of beautiful clothing. Don’t get me wrong, so many of my clients come into the studio with some really killer outfit options but, others…not quite the variety. I am the latter, trust me! I turned up to a photo shoot just last week with about 6 outfits and they were: black, black, heather gray, black, black, and cream…and the cream-colored piece was actually a tablecloth. Seriously. No really, black might as well be a uniform in my world.
You know what I hadn’t considered until it was too late? (And by too late, I mean 2 days before my shoot) Wardrobe rentals. No really, it’s a thing! I rented a GORGEOUS Halston gown for my brother’s wedding last Spring. It was great because I could wear this beautiful, contemporary gown and not even have to worry about dry cleaning it. It was insured through the rental company so while I took a tide pen along with me, I knew that if i DID spill any wine on it, it wasn’t the end of the world. It was great! I was able to be stylish and modern, have a wonderful time with my family and friends, and actually ENJOY the evening instead of worrying about the giant credit card bill coming on the dress I just spent hundreds of dollars on for something I’d wear once, maybe even twice in my lifetime. Talk about a relief and what a great night!
Ladies, I introduce to you, Rent the Runway.
Benefits of RTR:
- You can wear beautiful designer clothing: dresses, blouses, skirts, accessories, skirts, and more.
- no dry cleaning
- shipping included
- no high dollar price-tag on an outfit you’ll wear once or twice in your entire life
- secondary backup size for no extra charge
- Did I mention NO DRY CLEANING?
So, when you book your photo shoot and receive all of our helpful tips and tricks on what to look for, what to wear and how to prepare for your portrait session you can rest assured, you really can and will look fabulous.
- Form Fitting – Yup, ladies I said it out loud. Form fitting clothing will photograph the best. Hey, I’m the first to admit that I sometimes wear clothing that “floats away from the body” – poppycock! It’s not concealing anything in fact, its ADDING to your body line. Yeah, I learned that the hard way after wearing this super great shirt and then someone photographed me wearing it and I realized that it just about swallowed me whole and gifted me an extra thirty pounds or so. Guess what? That shirt is now banished to pajama-land.
- Texture – Lace, fur, leather, sequins, velvet – oh it’s so pretty! I love texture! It photographs so beautifully. My rule is “texture over print” – NO busy &/or crazy prints! And if you are thinking of prints, you have a favorite shirt for example, then pair it with solid accessories to calm it down: a jacket or blazer, vest, or cardigan. This way, the print will pop like a color but it isn’t so distracting that the viewer forgets they are looking at a person.